Site search

Slow Roasted Granola

Yesterday I mentioned something about how I think it is a good idea to eat a wide variety of foods. Today I am going to confess that for the greater part of six months I have eaten the same thing for breakfast nearly every day. So much for variety. But it is tasty and homemade and full of goodness, so I don’t feel too badly about it. There are several things to like about this granola that I really like, in fact.

Granola is extremely forgiving, for one. Don’t have almonds? Walnuts will do just fine. Ran out of sesame seeds? Skip them this time. Feeling a little oaty? Add an extra cup or so. It’ll still taste like oatmeal cookies. Second, it’s child friendly. I’m not saying that children will gobble it up like I do; Manchild 1 is starting to warm up to the idea of actually eating it (his raisin bran habit is tough to break) but he does enjoy helping me make it. I always appreciate him counting how many cups of oats I’ve put in the bowl, taking the lids off the jars, and making sure the almonds are still edible. And last but certainly not least, it hits the spot after a workout. Nearly six months after I started making this, I still look forward to sitting down to a bowl full after a morning run. And I’m still satisfied by 10:30, which is quite a feat if you ask me.

Slow Roasted Granola adapted from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

8 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sweetened coconut (the original calls for unsweetened, but I haven’t been able to find any in my neighborhood)
1 1/2 cups chopped almonds

2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 water or 4 egg whites*
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 275. Mix oats, sunflower and sesame seeds, chopped nut and coconut in a large bowl. Stir remaining ingredients together in a smaller bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Grease two large cookie sheets. Spread half of the granola on each sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. With 10 minutes remaining, switch pans from top to bottom so that the bottom pan gets a chance to brown. Let cool on the pan, then store in jars. (Or an empty oat canister, which is what I always do.)

You may need to watch it closely during the last few minutes so it doesn’t get too brown. We add sliced bananas or dried cranberries or frozen blueberries when we eat it. Sometimes we pour milk over it, sometimes we eat it with plain yogurt. Both are very tasty. Like I said. I like variety.

*egg whites will give you granola with more chunky clusters

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

Comment from Nicole
Time July 15th, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I love this granola! I made a batch last Saturday. My husband and I have eaten it every morning since Saturday, and I bought Almonds at Sahadi’s to make a new batch this weekend. This granola is satisfying and filling.

Lizzie, I chopped the almonds in a blender. Is that what you do? I like the big almond pieces, but I might have over done it in the blender. About half the pieces were big and half the almonds were pulverized. The granola still tasted good, but I prefer to minimize the pulverized nuts.

Comment from lizzie
Time July 15th, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I actually have a food processor that I chop the nuts in. I think it does a little better than a blender, but there are still lots of big pieces and lots of nut dust. I think the only way to minimize the pulverization is to do it by hand, but that takes too much time for me when my food processor can do it in seconds.

I’m glad you like it!

Comment from Heather
Time August 3rd, 2010 at 10:33 pm

At my old grocery store, you could buy pre-sliced almonds with the other organic and self serve oats, grains, etc. That’s what I used.

I also love dried strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, apples in this. Then I top it with fresh fruit and eat it like cereal. I’m a huge cereal fan, so often, I’ll do half a bowl of cereal (Special K, Bran or Corn Flakes, plain cherrios, anything simple) and add this to it.

Thanks for the egg white tip! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Comment from lizzie
Time August 3rd, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Pre-sliced almonds sound like a great idea. I wish they sold them at the store I buy my almonds at, but no such luck. And it really is so tasty with all kinds of fruit — fresh, dried, frozen. Yum yum yum.

Comment from Gabrielle – Design Mom
Time August 16th, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Slow-roasted? That sounds amazing. Can’t wait to try it.

Comment from lizzie
Time August 17th, 2010 at 10:09 pm

It really is, Gabrielle. I hope you love it as much as we do!

Comment from Nicole
Time November 17th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I ate this granola this morning with fresh raspberries, and it was heavenly!

lizzie Reply:

Fresh raspberries are to die for. I think they would make just about anything taste heavenly!

Comment from Emily M
Time January 29th, 2011 at 9:49 am

I found the unsweetened coconut!! -Bob’s Red Mill makes it and I saw it at Fairway Market just last week.

lizzie Reply:

That Bob and his Red Mill . . . they sure do come up with all sorts of good things. Thanks for the tip!

Comment from Misty
Time February 5th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I’ll admit, I was a bit scared off by the “slow roasted” part. Would I have time? Would I like it after I had put in the effort? YES! This is awesome! I don’t think I’m ever going to go back to buying the store-kind. :) I don’t like coconut and skipped that ingredient and it was still very good. Thanks!

lizzie Reply:

I’m so glad you took the time to try it and that you like it. It really is sooo good. Worth the effort, in my book.

Comment from Zora
Time July 22nd, 2014 at 4:45 am

Greetings! I know this is kinda offf topic butt I was wondering if
you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m hsving problems finding
one? Thanks a lot!

Write a comment

Booking It

• The Little Prince
    March 1st, 2013 | 2:28 pm

the little princeI’m reading this with the boys. My first time. It’s amazing people. So good I almost want to cry sometimes.

• Love 2.0
    January 28th, 2013 | 9:44 pm

lovefredricksonLoved these thoughts on love. May have to get my hands on a copy of the book.

• Maurice and Terry and Christoph
    January 7th, 2013 | 10:37 pm

What can go wrong in a mash-up of Maurice Sendak, Terry Gross, and Christoph Niemann? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Click here to see.

• RSSArchive for Booking It »